YAESU FACTORY MESSAGE 2014
The grease that our technician uses to grease the bearings is Valvoline DuraBlend Synthetic Part# VV278.
In regards to replacing the pot, we strongly recommend that you send the rotor to us to have the pot replaced. We make this recommendation based on past experiences when users have tried to replace the pot but did not properly align and position the pot during replacement and re-assembly. If not aligned and re-assembled properly, damage to the rotor can occur. That being said below are some points to keep in mind should you decide to do the replacement yourself:
- To orient pot shaft, place multimeter probes on Pin 1(Brown) & Pin 2(Yellow). Turn pot shaft until resistance reads 250+- Ω
- Reinstall gears on the pot and recheck resistance as described above.
- With Rotator top off connect control cable to the rotator and control box.
- Set multimeter to VDC and insert probes into Pin 2 and 3 of Control Box jack.
- Using the CCW switch rotate until VDC match the following:
G-800, 1000, 2800DXA, G-5500 AZIMUTH=0.540vdc
G-800, 1000, 2800SA=0.180vdc
- With the rotator connector facing you, position the Rotation Limiter arm to the right until it just touches the right stop. FAILURE TO DO THIS CORRECTLY WILL DAMAGE THE ROTATOR
- Install the rotator top with the raised alignment mark on the top half of rotator case matching the raised alignment mark on the bottom half of the rotator case.
- Recalibrate the rotator and control box according to the instruction found in your Operating Manual.
Wes Gray, KJ6OYT
Technical Support Supervisor